- To visit the Maritime Museum and explore the different collections.
- To explore the different artefacts and collections available.
- To understand that museums are available for everyone to enjoy.
- To experience the history of Hull’s maritime activities.
- To learn about museums and why they play an important role in society with strong links to the City of Culture 2017.
- To understand, capture, edit and enhance images of different artefacts and collections using digital software on an iPad.
The unique Digital IT Art experience allows children to explore Hull’s intriguing past, whilst unleashing their creativity, to produce visual effects and videos they can be proud of.
With iPads in hand, the fully mobile day begins at the Maritime Museum. The children are set the task to capture interesting perspectives, of the artefacts, to make their photographs more engaging by getting close, crouching down, elevating and even lying down! All the time gaining knowledge and understanding about Hull’s historical whaling, fishing and merchant trade past.
The children return to the Learning Zone to investigate Hull fishing past using digital mapping, locating countries and seas and then begin expressing their artistic talents using and combining a number of creative apps to add dramatic effects, which are presented in a digital portfolio which includes:
- Transforming their photos by adding amazing effects and interactive adjustable filters, such as mosaics, puzzles, motion blur, tile, x- ray, collage, light tunnels.
- Adding effects to give their photos a vintage or retro feel.
- Creating 3-D video effects, such as wormhole tunnels or a spinning globe.
- Turning words and photos in amazing typographic works of art.
- Adding dramatic effects to photos by converting them to black and white and then highlighting areas they’d like to keep in colour to create striking images.
- Combining their digital photos and video/picture to create collages.
- Graphic designing to create a persuasive advert to encourage visitors to visit the ‘Magnificent Maritime Museum’.
- Designing a professional looking Hollywood style movie project to celebrate Hull’s heritage.The day concludes with an exciting showcase of the children’s finished movies and digital artwork on the big screen.All digital content is saved and sent to the school so that the children can enjoy and celebrate their work back at school and home.