ERYC COMMS EXPERIENCE
AVAILABLE TO EAST RIDING SCHOOLS ONLY.
East Riding of Yorkshire Council and the Hull and East Yorkshire Children’s University are teaming up to offer pupils in the East Riding of Yorkshire an insight into the world of communications and the media.
Pupils will learn about the skills involved in careers such as journalism, public relations and marketing and get the chance to put those new-found skills to the test with an exciting challenge at either the Bridlington Spa, East Riding Leisure Centre or East Riding Museums.
- To discover what is involved in being press and marketing officers with East Riding of Yorkshire Council, the tasks they undertake and the purposes of their roles.
- How to conduct interviews in order to get interesting information and then how to turn their interview notes into articles and social media content.
- What makes good photographs and how to take them, learning all about framing, composition, lighting, use of props and other technical aspects.
- How to record film footage and then edit it to produce video content which appeals to social media audiences.
- Effective ways to use social media for publicity and marketing purposes.
- How live radio is produced with a special insight into a BBC Radio Humberside broadcast.
Welcome and introductions from the East Riding of Yorkshire Council Marketing and Communications team.
Learn about a variety of roles with some hands-on workshops and activities including:
- Social media editors – Deciding which content to feature on the Twitter feeds to best promote venues and activities.
- Reporters / press officers – Creating their own questions to interview key members of staff and then producing interesting posts for social media.
- Photographers and video producers / vloggers – filming interviewees and using video editing software to finalise their footage and taking pictures of staff which will catch people’s eyes on social media feeds. Their challenge will be to use photos and video to tell the story of the venue, event or show depending on location of experience.
- Feedback and evaluation