Kip on a Ship
- To help children understand the wider world that exists outside of their community
- To experience different modes of transport
- To help children gain an understanding of distance, travel and transport
- To familiarise children with London so that they are able to relate to it in the national news and as our capital city
- To compare and contrast life in London and Hull by observing life in both cities To spend the night on the HMS Belfast To experience how a museum can bring a subject to life To develop an interest in wartime history
Pre Visit to school
- Explanation of the objectives of the visit and go through the itinerary of the day
- Talk about safety, rules and behaviours to ensure the day is safe and enjoyable
- Tell the children what to look out for during the visit and answer any questions
- A tour of London on foot and using the underground which can include Downing Street, the Horse Guards, St James Park, Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square depending on the school’s preference.[list-item] [list-item]All groups have the opportunity to either ride the London Eye or board a river cruise along the Thames.
- A tour of the HMS Belfast led by Hull Children’s University staff.
- Set up camp in the lower decks of the HMS Belfast. Optional trip to a theatre in the west end.
- If Parliament is booked: Full guided tour of the Houses of Parliament followed by a workshop led by Parliament staff.
Post Visit to the school
Discussing memories of the visit, viewing photographs of the day and reflecting upon what children have learned and how that knowledge can impact on their life and future choices.