Live Life on the Edge!
Welcome to a world living life on the edge. Explore the habitats and creatures that make their home on the cliff tops at Bempton and discover why living on the edge can be fun but challenging!
Choose your sessions:
KS1 ‘Sense-ational’ Zoologists!
Choose 3 of the following options for a half day, or 5 options for a full day.
1) Sounds and Songs In the wildlife garden, explore the songs and calls of garden birds. Can you tell robins from blue tits? Why do birds use calls and songs?
2) Clifftop Bonanza Take a walk to the secure clifftop and peek into the amazing lives of visiting seabirds. Do the ‘Seabird Scavenger Challenge’ and learn about lifecycles with Goldie the Gannet!
3) Rainbow Trail Nature is full of colour and so are the animals that live around us. Explore colour with rainbow shards and follow the Rainbow Ribbon Trail to see how many colours you can find!
4) Watery World Explore pondlife and discover how a tiny tadpole turns into a bouncy land-loving frog!
5) Minibeast Magic Take part in a Zoologist investigation and use your senses on the hunt for life in miniature. How many different bugs and beasties can you find?
6) Potent Potions The world around us is very smelly indeed! Use plants to make potent potions learning why the plants are smelly in the first place.
KS2 Geologists Rock!
Choose 2 of the following options for a half day, or 3 options for a full day.
1) On the Edge Trail Take the ‘On The Edge Trail Challenge’ walking along the cliff top to find the features of erosion, weathering and the ‘elephant’ sea arch.
2) Sweet Science! Take part in a geological experiment to test whether chalk, flint or boulder clay will erode the fastest with wave action. Using sweets as rocks, we test our hypothesis!
3) Coccolithophores Rock Take a step back in time to the Cretaceous Period to discover what chalk is made from. Make your own coccolithophore using clay to take home.
4) Find a Fossil Explore sedimentary rocks, find out what a fossil is and get hands on with prehistoric life.
KS2 Ornithologists on the Edge!
Choose 2 of the following options for a half day, or 4 options for a full day.
1) Seabird Scavenger Complete the Seabird Scavenger Challenge and peak over the edge using binoculars to hone your ornithological observation skills to hunt and identify seabirds.
2) Getting in a Flap Learn about puffins and their amazing adaptions to life at sea.
3) I Love Gulls! Learn how to become Gull Ambassadors to care for the herring gulls and kittiwakes.
4) LBJ’s (Little Brown Jobs!) Explore the Wildlife Garden and use ornithological skills to explore the songs and calls of garden birds. How many can you identify?
5) Build a Gannets Nest With Goldie and Gordon (the giant cuddly gannets) take on a team challenge to build a gannets nest. Explore the hazards that gannets face and have a lot of run-around fun!
What you need to know
- The cliff tops are robustly fenced with fantastic cliff top viewing platforms – they are very safe.
- Dress ready for ALL and ANY weathers! It can be very muddy if it has rained recently.
- Your day will be led by fully trained RSPB staff and volunteers but we encourage school staff to join in!
- Please have the class ready to split into small groups with accompanying adults. The groups will rotate around different activities.
- Paths and toilets are fully accessible so people of all abilities can enjoy the cliff top habitats.
- The centre will also be open to the public.
- We aim to be outside as much as the weather allows because that’s where we have the most fun and do the most learning!